Student Registration

NISD Registration Banner

Documents Required for Registration

Documents may be uploaded directly into the online registration system or brought to the school so that copies can be made.


How to Register Online

Current Year 2023-2024


* Registration for the 23-24 school year is currently available for new students whose grade level is Kindergarten through 12th grade. Pre-Kinder registration/qualification will begin April 1, 2024.

  1. Click "Register New Student" button below.
  2. Enter the information requested by the online forms. Note: Required fields are marked as "Required", and 51 Independent School 51 will receive the data exactly as it is entered.  Please be careful of spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
  3. On the "Summary" page, check your data before submitting.
  4. Click "Submit" on the submission confirmation page you will have the opportunity to print out a copy of your registration to keep for your records.  Note:  Once the form is electronically submitted, you will receive an e-mail confirmation.

Step-by-step instructions on how to register are available.

School Choice

Magnet Schools

Acceptance to any of NISD's sevenmagnet high schools or twomagnet middle schools is by application only. (Applications are typically accepted in late fall and winter.)

School Choice

Parents of current students may request for their child to transfer to another school within 51 ISD. Parents who are current employees of NISD are also eligible for transfer requests.

Frequently Asked Questions

To register your child in school you will need:

All school attendance boundaries are approved by the School Board. To see what school your address is assigned to, and for bus transportation information, go to theBoundaries and Buses貹.

  • Registration for returning high school, middle school, and elementary school students is done online in the Spring preceding the start of the new school year.
  • -ٴ-ǰٳelementary schoolstudents should register online and call theirneighborhood schoolfor specific questions.
  • -ٴ-ǰٳmiddle schoolstudents should register online and call the campus regarding dates for course selection.
  • New-to-51 high school students should register online and call theirschool's counseling officefor registration appointments in June and July.
  • -ٴ-ǰٳhigh schoolstudents should not plan to register on Prep Days as counselors will be assisting returning high school students. Ongoing registration will occur at the high schools by appointment.Contact your high schoolfor additional information.

You can download and print the school calendarhere.

Information on which school bus to ride, pickup times and locations can be obtained from your child's school after August 1. In addition, information on bus routes is available from theBoundaries and Buses貹.

All Elementary Schools and some Middle Schools in 51 offers the.

If you have a binding contract on a home with a closing or move-in date before the start of the school year, you would simply need to show the contract once you assume residency in order to complete registration, along with a few other required documents (ie: immunization records, etc.)

If you should have a contract with a closing date after the start of the school year, an Anticipated Move Contract must be processed at the Office of Student Advocacy and School Choice (SASC). The purpose of the 51 ISD Anticipated Move procedure is to avoid multiple changes of a student's school assignment during a school year. An Anticipated Move Contract permits a family to enroll a child at the school (or the cluster campus, if applicable) in the attendance area in which the family will be moving during the course of the school year. (Please note that the actual move-in date must be during the course of the school year. The student may be ineligible for participation in UIL activities until residency has been established.) Once the Anticipated Move Contract is submitted, the following items should be emailed to

The subject line should read: Anticipated Move Contract. In the body of the email indicate the student's lastandfirst names.

  • Lease contract, signed by all parties OR a current and active proof of residency in the form of a utility bill (water, electric or cable) of the family's address - which must be under the parent's name – for the current residence
  • A valid sales or lease contract, signed by all parties for the new home
  • A document showing a closing or occupancy date on or after the first day of school for the new home
  • Birth certificate and social security card for all affected children

A student who moves out of a school’s attendance area during a school year may request permission to remain at the school for the duration of the school year by submitting an Application for Continued Enrollment to the campus principal. In order to be considered for approval, an Application for Continued Enrollment may be submitted prior to the move but must be submitted no more than 10 days after the move. An Application submitted more than 10 days after the move may be denied due to untimeliness of the request. This can also be submitted for graduating seniors.

As a requirement of law, only a biological parent, court-appointed legal guardian, or other person with legal control of the child shall enroll a student into a public school district. If a person wishing to enroll a child and the person is not the parent of the child, the person will be required to obtain an NISD Power of Attorney (POA) document fromthe Office of Student Advocacy and School Choice (SASC)at (210) 397-8695, which allows the parent to extend their parental rights(to include care, custody and control of the student)to a guardian for purposes of educational, health care, and general welfare.

Once the Power of Attorney request is submitted, the parent / guardianwould have to email the following documents to

The subject line should read: Power of Attorney. In the body of the email indicate the student's lastandfirst names.

  • Student’s Birth certificate
  • Student's Social Security Card
  • Photo IDs for Guardian to be & Parent - valid government issued ID
  • Proof of address of the homeowner where the child/ren will be residing -complete utility bill or current lease with signatures
  • Legal Documents if applicable

A parent may choose to home school their children. If home school is decided upon by the family, thenincluding:

  • Student name and date of birth
  • Parent name and signature
  • Date that home schooling began (the letter cannot reflect the intent to home school)

Examples are available inEnglishand貹ñDZ.

Cafeteria Info & Menus
Health Services Information
Buses & Boundaries
51 Programs
School Safety